When Sharing Becomes Oversharing

How much should you share online?

In contrast to my last post about privacy online, I wanted to talk about oversharing. I am a very private person, but there lots of people who aren’t. I follow and have seen many accounts of people who are very open and like to share every last detail of their lives. It can be a good thing to be open and share things with others because other people could be going through similar experiences and feel less alone. But I think there is a point when sharing becomes too much and turns into oversharing.

The internet has made people lose their filter. People share and open up so much about themselves to an audience of people they hardly know. Some people even go out and do things just so they can have something to post about on social media. I think it's important to remember that the Internet is forever, and so is everything you put on it. People have to be aware of what they are sharing and find a balance between sharing and oversharing.

Comments

  1. I appreciate this post because I am also a very private person. However, I used to not be. My instagram profile was set to public, I allowed anybody and everybody to follow me, to a point where I valued the height of my followers. Many people have this mindset of achieving popularity, and I won’t lie and say I didn’t have the same mindset at one point in my life. But then I asked myself, why am I letting strangers in on my personal life? I post things like my food, my dogs, my apartment decor, and photos of me, my friends and my family. Strangers can gather extensive information on the things I share, which created a fear factor in my mind. This realization is where I decided to switch my digital lifestyle to being extremely private.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts