Like It or Not

Why are likes on social media such a big deal?


Just the other day, my sister texted me and my younger sister to like her most recent Instagram post because she was only 2 likes away from having 300 likes. She knows that we both have personal accounts as well as second accounts for our art, so she wanted us to like her picture with both of our accounts to get more likes. We both did it, but we rolled our eyes and thought, “she’s just thirsty for likes”. It seemed like a funny thing to ask. Why does it matter if you have 298 likes versus 300? Does it really make a difference?

Personally, social media is something I use for fun. I post photos that I like for my friends and family to see. I don’t really worry that much about how many likes I get. That takes the fun out of it for me. I think worrying about likes can be a bad thing because it turns it into a game of getting as many likes as possible and comparing the number of likes on your posts to other peoples’ posts. Likes are an easy way for people to show interest in your post, but I don’t think they should be taken so seriously. I understand that there are people like influencers that depend on likes as part of their job. But for normal people like me, the number of likes on a post should be less valued. 

Comments

  1. Hi Angela,
    What a relatable post! I hate to admit it, but my friends and I have definitely asked eachother to like a post in the past. I definitely don't think people should care about the numbers of likes because they fall into that bad habit of comparing themselves with other people. If someone got more likes than them they are constantly going to wonder what they can do differently in how they post for next time. Posting should be a fun way to show your friends and family what you've been up to, not something that you have to worry about. We need to focus more on the content that we share and less on how many likes that content will receive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts